Meet James Peters
James, a driver for Prime Inc., is a prime example that truck drivers can live a healthy lifestyle on the road!
James' Story: James hasn't always been all about fitness. In fact, he has been overweight his whole life. When James began his professional driving career in early 2011, he weighed 268 pounds. By Christmas of 2012 he weighed 340 pounds. That's 70 pounds in 20 months. After seeing himself in a picture over the holidays, he decided to make a change. James' fitness journey began December 2012 and since then, he is committed to showing others that a healthy life on the road can be possible.
As a driver, your time to get a workout in is limited. But, as James says, "I don't have time to workout... I make the time to work out." Here's some quick tips from James that we can all follow - truck driver or not.
- It's a lifestyle change, not just a diet. Watching what you eat is only a small part of living healthy. Dedicating the time to better yourself by working out is an even bigger challenge, but one your body will thank you for, both short-term and long-term!
- Start small. Make goals that are challenging, but realistic.
- You didn't gain the weight overnight - it's not going to disappear overnight. Don't give up, trust in the process and stay committed to your goal!
- Get those steps in! Park further away at the truck stops and keep it moving - you'll be surprised what a little exercise can do. Take it to the next level and get some vigorous exercise in. Aim for 15 minutes a day and work to increase it.
James is on the road 330+ days a year and does an average of 500 miles per day. He leads the Prime Team in training OTR professional drivers by teaching them good driving habits, as well as offering tips on how to live a healthy life on the road. James has lost over 100 pounds and weighs the same weight he did when he was a junior in high school! He is committed to his fitness journey each day and constantly encourages others to start their own.
"The word itself says "I'M POSSIBLE."
- JAMES PETERS
If you are on a fitness journey, please share your progress with us! Use the hashtag #BPFit and we will share your journey to inspire others!
A recent survey shows 69% OTR drivers are obese, with 17% of them being morbidly obese. Check out the links below for quick and effective workouts that you can do on the road and with the help of your truck! Clicl one of the tips to get started!
- Trucker Fitness Tips - Men's Health Magazine
- Full Body Workout in Your Semi - Healthy Trucker
- 13 Workouts for OTR Truck Drivers - Healthy Trucker